Why breaking your elbow is good for your patience


I'll be the first one to admit that patience is not one of my virtues. I pretty much have zero patience, with almost anything. I do know it's something I should work on, but believe me, it isn't as easy as it seems. And the thing is, my impatience makes me crazy too. Because it makes me stressy - and I'm truly a bitch when I'm stressy - and I know it's all my own fault. But then I broke my elbow.

I didn't think breaking my elbow would be that bad, to be honest. Until you realise how often you need both arms. Now that's a little disheartening if I may say so. And it definitely makes you more patient, although it's not what you want. When I had my cast, there was no way I could use my knife for dinner. Having to admit that you can't cut your own food isn't amazing, but it's best to accept it for your own sake. So I did. And I didn't use my knife for quite a while, until I figured that I could bend my arm in a way that cutting was actually possible, although it looked a little odd. So why not give it a try again? And it worked! So I guess this might be a good thing to learn to have some patience, because everything will heal anyway. And well, cutting still looks a little odd (yay for weird looks on my holiday parties this week), but one day I'll be able to bend my arm in such way that cutting properly will be able again. Just a little patience.

I'm not saying here that I suddenly became patient - hah, that would be fun! -, but I did learn to have a little more patience. And where I used to hate slow texters, I may not text back immediately anymore myself. I don't really know whether that's a good thing though... Oh well. So far the positive thing about breaking your elbow! Now some more things I learned from recovery:

There were a lot of things I couldn't do after my fracture. I had surgery, so I wasn't stuck in a cast for 6 weeks, but I still have to be very careful not to hurt my elbow and it's not like I was able to do many more things the first couple of weeks. So for over a month, I couldn't ride my bike, drive my car, work out,... And that last thing was probably worst. I was used to working out about 5 times a week, so when I suddenly couldn't do that anymore I was left with tonnes of energy that didn't seem to go away. When I have a lot of energy, I tend to become more sarcastic and a little meaner.. And my friends from class have known that! Sorry girls, hope you still love me.

But the good part is that I get a little too excited when I find out that I'm able to do stuff again. When I first rode my bike again, it made my day. Same thing for being able to touch my face again. I do have very flexible wrists, so that might have something to do with it too. Because bending my arm still isn't quite possible actually. But you know what? It makes you appreciate being healthy even more. And one day, I'll be able to do everything again! Until then, I guess I'll just try to be patient... And that gives me an excuse to be frantically excited for not-so-spectacular things. Yay for that!

I'm sorry for this rambly post, I just felt like sharing this and since it's my blog, I pretty much can do whatever I want ;). Happy Christmas Eve, enjoy your holidays!

Share this:

, , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment