Coconut Macaroon or 'Rochers'


My mother has a love-hate relationship with my baking addiction. She loves the fact that I make yummy things for her but she hates having to lend me her kitchen to experiment and make a mess of it. Although I clean up very neatly afterwards, she isn't a fan of sharing her kitchen.That results into 'the sigh'. Whenever I tell her 'Oh mom, I feel like baking something!', the first thing she does is sighing very deeply, saying 'There it is again'. I know my cleaning isn't as good as the cleaning lady, but I definitely think I do a good job! There is only one rule we have set. Since the cleaning lady comes on thursday, that is a forbidden day to cook. Friday is difficult, but from saturday on she accepts it. And, even better, wednesday is the day where everything is possible!


Sometimes I feel a little guilty about my addiction. And that is when I bake a batch of Coconut Macaroons, my mothers all-time favourite cookie. Here in Belgium, most people like to call it a rocher, pronounced as rochée (a french word indeed). If you are a fan of coconut and slightly goey but still crispy cookies, you'll love this as much as my mother does. On top of that, you'll need only 4 ingredients and these babies are very easy to make.



Whether you make small and crispy cookies like I did, or bigger, very moist cookies: they'll be delicious. Even if you're not a pro-baker, these probably will not fail! They are very easy to throw together and it's up to you how crisp they are. The recipe calls for 20 - 30 minutes of baking. Mine have been in the oven for 22 minutes and were perfect! So I definitely recommend to check them once in a while to make sure they're not burning. What are you still waiting for? Go make these, and enjoy!

Ingredients
for approximately 23 small cookies
  • 2 egg whites 
  • 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 80 grams (.36 cup) white, granulated sugar
  • 100 grams (1 cup) shredded coconut
Preheat your oven to 175°C/350°F.

On low heat, combine the sugar and the egg whites until it becomes a white mixture. This does not take very long, try to make it a little warm.

Add the coconut and the flour to the white mixture and stir them in. I like to keep the heat on while doing this, but I don't think it is necessary.

Put some wax paper on a baking sheet and with the help of 2 spoons (I prefer teaspoons), make little heaps. They do not have to be alike, that makes them really homemade!

Put them in the oven and bake them for 20 - 30 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want them. I have baked mine for 22 minutes.

Let cool (which is the hardest part), put on a pretty plate and enjoy with some tea!

Share this:

, , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 reactions:

Post a Comment